Friday, May 1, 2009

You're my man...

First, a quick comment about the show last night. I have found a new religion and its name is Leonard Cohen. What a performer! He sounded amazing, his show was flawless and he appeared ever so humble. It was worth every penny and the kicker was that the lovely Rhonda secretly upgraded our seats and I found myself on the floor, ninth row center. Pure magic!


Meet Ken...


I own a Ken doll.He resides on my desk in the library. The girls play with him and the boys place him in the most unfortunate positions.

Ken was gifted to me many years ago from a family member. It was a gift for no other reason than to shut me up for years of complaining. My complaint was simple. “The reason I have had all of these dysfunctional relationships with men is because I didn’t have a Ken doll growing up.” I never learned how to play nice with boys. Well, it seemed to have broken the spell.

So, now that you know who Ken is, here is the story.

A student from my school was planning a trip to England for an extended Spring break. I have always wanted to go, and someday I most definately will.

Usually on a daily basis I would ask if I could come along. "Perhaps there was room in your suitcase?", yet no amount of pleading seemed to work. Until one day, when she was playing with Ken (as the girls do), it dawned on me.

“What about Ken?” I asked. “Ken would love to go with you”.

And the rest as they say....is history.

Consider this a plastic version of Flat Stanley.

So, here’s Ken @ Stonehenge...




And consuming his first pint...



You can’t have a pint without chips at Leicester Square...




Then Ken went to Greenwich...




And visited his mummie at the British Royal Museum...



Okay, so the kids think I am insane. I even had a “Ken is away on holidays” sign when he was gone. But I am deadly impressed that ‘L’ (the student in question) took all these great pics for me and brought him back with both his shoes.

Ken also returned with his new friend “Action Man” (aka Mike’s doll or aka Ken's life partner).

Now if I can just convince someone to take Ken to grad. Talk about living vicariously through others.

Anyone know where I can find a really small tux?

No comments:

Post a Comment