Monday, May 4, 2009

Who's afraid of the big bad plant?

I just returned from my final low maintenance bedding plant class and have learned the following:

- Low maintenance does not mean No maintenance

- Rabbits destroy things

- If you have thousands of dollars, you too can have a professionally landscaped yard

- And, the kicker, when you buy something on a whim and stick it in your yard in the fall, it might be a good idea to write down what you put in the friggin’ ground!!!!!

I am overwhelmed ... by plants. And at this point I am really wondering if anything is going to even get in the ground this year. There’s the stacking stone edging we plan to tackle ourselves, amending the soil ( good thing there wasn’t a test on this in my course) and those rabbits are going to keep me up at night with worry!

Oh, and did I mention the lilac bush? The unknown variety of lilac that we plunked in the ground (it actually made that sound, poor thing) about 12 inches from the edge of a 4 foot bed.

Just imagine it as Charlie Brown’s Christmas tree's little cousin.

The lilac that I discovered grows anywhere from 6 to 10 ft tall and just about as wide.

The aforementioned plant that Jerome and I have had several
‘discussions’regarding.

That lilac?

Baby needs to find a new home.

It might not happen until after midnight,and Jerome is asleep, but it is going to happen.

Cute side story from the garden centre.
I was wondering around trying to find a trellis as Jerome perused the fertilizer. Lately he has this sort of glint in his eye and spring in his step whenever we do anything garden related. As he read the various labels, he couldn’t help but notice two young men ( gawd, I feel old just saying that) standing beside a pallet of fertilizer in deep conversation.

Imagine the Canadian, younger version of Cheech and Chong

“ Wow, we’re gonna be here all day” the first stoner said, “there’s too many kinds”.

“Yeah”, the second (more paranoid) one replied. “And the worst part is we can’t even ask someone”.



And I think I will end with this...





Fine, but why is the doll going?

No comments:

Post a Comment