Tuesday, April 28, 2009

I love everything British! Especially their TV...



I am an Anglophile. I like tea, the Queen and especially British humour. That dry, witty, sarcastic banter that I feel I can hold my own with...on a good day.

The Brits know how to do TV right. They don’t mess around, six episodes a series (season) and they’re done, in and out, leaving you wanting more...

You know where this is going, don’t you?

Here are my top picks from the Brits ( in no particular order), highly recommended and if you ask me very nicely I may even let you borrow one of my box sets? Oooo, box set, that’s sounds sort of wrong, doesn’t it?

Coronation Street – No brainer. You know they must be doing something right if it’s been on the tube for almost 45 years. It’s like Shakespeare, the comedy, the tragedy, the antics. I love it and I love nothing more than watching it with my love. And, as you may have guessed this one was longer than six episodes.

So here are some shows that you may not have heard of:


Life on Mars – Now, I don’t usually go for cop shows, but when Sam Tyler gets in a car crash and is transported back to 1973, you just have to have a go. It’s sci-fi meets COPS, and you can laugh at the bad clothing and cheesy-car-chase scenes. This went for two series and there is also a follow-up called ‘Ashes to Ashes’ where a woman detective is transported to the ‘80s.

T
he Amazing Mrs. Pritchard – Green grocer turned Prime Minister? Highly unlikely? The lovely Jane Horrocks leads a feminist revolution in British politics. How a seemingly happy family copes with the stresses of the ‘ultimate job’. You go girl!




The IT crowd – Wow, do you ever wonder what computer techs’ lives are really like? Well, look no further in this low brow (still rather hilarious) comedy of ...well, nerds. A pair of socially awkward IT guys have their troubles coping with a new boss, a woman boss, who knows nothing about computers. Turns out she is as much as misfit as they are. 2 hilarious series.






The Street – Gritty drama where each episode takes you into a house of another tenant who lives on the street. Dark, dark stuff, affairs, abuse, suicide and crime. Superbly acted, but it took us a long time to get through this series because it was so INTENSE. Worth a watch though. 2 series.

Now for my two favs, with the exception of Corrie.

Bob and Rose – Can a gay man fall in love with a straight woman? Well, they are going to have a helluva time trying. Warm, funny and real, this will make you smile one minute and cry the next. And there is an insane fag-hag and over-the-top supportive mother to boot. I loved it. Six blissful episodes...



And finally....

Are you ready?
Gavin and Stacey – THIS SHOW WAS AWESOME!!!! Comedy about an Essex boy and a Welsh girl who fall in love. Incredibly funny and sweet with each show ending making you go ‘Awwwwww’. The roles of the two co-stars (and oddily enough, also the show's co-creators) will make you want to go 'Urgh, are they actually showing us this on telly'.

We watched this right through one lazy Sunday and we couldn’t get enough. Thankfully they are working on the third season.


No comments:

Post a Comment